‘Banned for life? You’re out of your mind’: Jarrell Miller DENIES willingly taking a performance-enhancing drug after failing his second doping test in a year as heavyweight claims substance was ‘something that was ingested’
- Jarrell Miller failed yet another drugs test on Sunday ahead of his July 9 return
- The heavyweight claims the substance it was ‘something that was ingested’
- He denies ever willingly taking a performance enhancing drug to win a fight
- His team are looking into a ‘contamination’ and believes there is an explanation
- Miller tested positive for banned substances last year and was suspended
Heavyweight boxer Jarrell Miller has denied willingly taking a performance enhancing drug after failing his second drugs test in 12 months – claiming the substance was ‘something that was ingested’.
Miller was set to make his comeback on July 9 against Jerry Forrest after signing with Top Rank following a six month suspension for a failed test last year that scuppered his bout with Anthony Joshua.
But he tested positive for a drug called GW1516, a drug used to aid endurance and boost aerobic power, and has been placed on temporary suspension by the Nevade State Athletic Commission.
Jarrell Miller has denied willingly taking a performance-enhancing drug after his failed test
The heavyweight signed with Top Rank and was preparing for a July 9 fight after a 6 month ban
Miller says he has never purposely taken a banned substance during training or to win a fight and confirmed his team are looking into what happened.
‘This is something that was ingested,’ Miller told Fight Network.
‘We don’t know if it was contaminated, but we’re investigating as of right now. Me and my team are just working due diligently to get the facts 100 per cent straight.
‘I have never ever willingly take a steroid for performance enhancement purposes.
‘Did I take something for healing properties, for injury, yes I have. Before a fight to win a fight and during a training camp, no, I have never done that.’
He said his team was looking into a possible ‘contamination’ and insisted he is ‘outraged’
Last year he tested positive for human growth hormone, EPO and GW1516 before he was slated to challenge Joshua for his world titles. He said he was ‘outraged’ about the latest findings and told of the the financial losses he made from losing that lucrative bout against the British fighter.
‘Nobody can be more outraged than me,’ he said of the allegations. ‘I’m the one that’s lost millions of dollars. I’m the one that’s had his career on the line.
‘But I have to think about it with a straight mind. I have to figure it out. Sit down with my team. Get everything in order and get everything done in the right way.’
He was set to come up against Anthony Joshua (L) last year before failing a series of tests
Promoter Eddie Hearn, who said his failed test last year was ‘the most extensive case of doping this sport has ever seen’ claimed that no promoter will let him fight again – but Miller hit out at any suggestions he would face a life ban.
‘I should not be banned [for life],’ he continued. ‘I’m prepared to accept my suspension and be willing to do my monthly testing [during] my suspension, but to be banned for life? You’re out of your mind.
‘It’s sad. I’m angry about it, but like I said, there is an explanation for it, and me and my legal team are working on it.’
Promoter Eddie Hearn says Miller’s career is over and says no promoter will let him fight again
Miller, who has an unbeaten record of 23-0-1, set his sights on the big names in heavyweight boxing after signing with Top Rank in January and looked to be on the comeback trail.
He called out the likes of Joshua, Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder as he promised he would win a world title one day.
He told BonusCodeBets.co.uk: ‘I’m better than AJ, I’m better than Tyson, I’m better than Deontay, I only call myself number two because I don’t have that belt. I’m going to be world champ.’